Sunday 19 October 2014

Londinium, Lundenwic, London - a city of stories



Welcome to this, the first post on my new blog, London Histories!

Samuel Pepys' quote, about the man who is tired of London being tired of life, has become a cliche, but he wasn't wrong. There's always something going on in this huge, ancient city. It's not always good, but it's certainly always interesting! For a history geek like me, it's the perfect place to live.

This blog will, I hope, tells some of London's stories from its 2,000 years of history. And there are a lot, from Boudica's rebellion to the poet buried standing up, from the execution of King Charles I to the woman who survived an air raid as she was sheltered by her cast-iron bathtub. As the metropolis sees new skyscrapers soar, archaeologists are taking the opportunity to discover the origins of the city, uncovering artefacts and stories as they go. The city is always reinventing itself, shaking off war and rebellion and the depredations of developers alike.

I plan to document both new discoveries and the stories of the ordinary Londoner, as they are so often no less interesting than stories about the great and the powerful. I hope you can join me!


No comments:

Post a Comment